place holder for something clever

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Well, there you have it: photographic evidence that I am, in fact, in Europe. I took the Eurostar from Paris to London Friday evening and spent three lovely days cavorting with Andrew and Laura.

I found London to be rather squat and industrial. In Paris all of the buildings in the central part of town are about six stories tall and rather grand looking. London, by contrast, is a real hodge-podge. Some buildings are old and grey, others are new and grey, and some others are new and glass (the glass, though, simply reflects the gray from the other buildings and the interminably overcast sky). The tube in London seems to have been built for Oompa Loompas. There is no other explanation as to why they have such claustrophobic cars is such psychadelic colours. It is also freakin expensive. Three pounds, over six bucks Canadian, for a one way ticket.

All of the landmarks in London are smaller than they appear in movies and, quite dissapointingly, they don't play that typically British music you always see in movie set-up shots. The one site in London that I truly enjoyed was the Tate Modern. It is right downtown, huge, and absolutely free. I spent four hours on Monday walking its halls and ended up dropping a considerable chunk of change on prints. (Yeah, more paintings of coloured squares on my walls.)

Classes have started and McGill is making grumbling noises about me actually working on my thesis, so i guess my European vacation is over. That being said i have already set up a trip to Amsterdam for the end of the month and am planning to go to Edinburgh before Sean moves away.

3 Comments:

  • Ken!

    It's so nice that you have a blog. I discovered it not long ago. Glad to see things are going nicely.
    you keep on posting ok?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 PM  

  • oh that was me maryam.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 PM  

  • Life would be less funny if Ken was more predictable. Good on ya for the Ummpa Lummpa comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home